Friday, September 4, 2009

Ideas in a Trivia #2- Filmy Protagonists!!

At some level we are all influenced by ‘filmy’ characters in one way or the other. They create subtle but deep impressions in us and often we may find ourselves imitating their ways and thoughts unknowingly. I am not a movie aficionado by any means but do watch my share, thanks to the world of torrents and some kind friends who are generous enough to share the ‘free’ stuff!!

I was thinking this morning about my favourite protagonists from movies and came up with this list of characters that have left strong impressions on my mind. So here it is, my all time favourite protagonist(s) from movies (not in any particular order),

1. Prot from K-PAX
What appeals to me most about ‘Prot’, is the fact that he is in a human form and knows everything about this world yet he is a stranger and everything about our world amazes him

2. Nallasivam and Anbarasu from Anbe Sivam
There cannot be a more contrasting portrayal of human behaviors than Nallasivam and Anbarasu. Also the idea of teaching by conduct not by preaching is very well portrayed

3. Forrest Gump
For his innocence, unthinking obedience and his ultimate love for ‘Jenny’

4. Guna
Kamal Hassan goes overboard in Guna but I guess it required to convey his ‘almost’ divine and deep love for Abhirami

5. Ravi from Kasturi Nivasa
I can’t forget the tragic, melancholious yet unaffected expressions of Dr. Rajkumar in the song ‘adisinodu belisinodu’

6. Tashi from Samsara
My favourite scene in this movie is when Tashi reads a letter from his Master where he asks Tashi, “What is more important: Satisfying one thousand desires or conquering just one...”

7. Davis from 12 Angry Men
For his perseverance, intelligence and keen observations

8. Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption
His coolness, tenacity and gumption are stuff of legend, one of greatest protagonists of all time

Well, that was my list, at least from what I could recollect. Which movie characters have influenced you the most?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. Hi Naren,
    Nice list there. I might need to think more to come with a big list like that. but as of now, I can list the few below:

    1. Hrithik Roshan's role of Karan Shergill in Lakshya. It's an extremely positive role of a careless urban guy turning into a dedicated, focussed soldier.

    2. Shahrukh's role as Mohan in Swades. This is something every Indian having inclination to foreign comforts but also a heart that goes out to the suffering of Indians can relate to.

    3. Meg Ryan's role as Kathleen in You've got mail. There's something about this bright, optimistic and regular girl.

    4. Aamir's role in Taare Zameen Par. If I were a teacher, I would surely make him my role model.

    5. Rajesh Khanna in Anand. Simply because he tells us how best to live as long as we're alive.

    -Prathi

    ReplyDelete