Monday, September 7, 2009

Idea #21: American Corn Sandwich

I am a bit of an amateur cook. Of course my friends laugh at it because I am a vegetarian, have never eaten meat and have never tasted alcohol. They wondered how anyone can claim to know anything about cooking without eating chicken or drinking beer. I remember one incident when I told my friends that I had cooked superb vegetable biryani. Their uncontrollable laughter did not make sense to me till the time they mockingly said, “Vegetarian Biryani? What’s that?”

I was fittingly shown my place and have not ventured to discuss my cooking skills ever since! But anyways I AM an amateur cook and can dish up decent, largely Indian or Indianised, vegetarian food. I like to experiment and create my own dishes and often dream about creating a brand new recipe that will acquire global fame!! (As an aside, did you know that only 6% i.e. about 400million out of 6.6 billion people are vegetarians globally and of the 400million about 300million vegetarians are in India?)

Anyways, a couple of years ago a friend and I created this “American Corn Sandwich” recipe while playing with some ingredients. It turned out to be fantastic and has become a big hit ever since with many friends, relatives and acquaintances. We have dished out dozens of these sandwiches over the last couple of years. Thought I will share the secret but simple recipe with you.

Here’ what you will need.

Sandwich Bread, Frozen or Fresh American Corn, Green Chilli, Red Chilli Powder, Salted Butter, Eggless Mayonnaise, Dried Oregano, Chopped Coriander and salt.

Method

• Boil frozen Corn for few mins till it becomes soft and fresh but not soggy
• Drain out the water
• To this corn add proportionate amounts of all other ingredients except Butter and Bread!!
• Apply butter to both sides of 2 slices of bread and then spread generous amounts of the corn and spices mix over the bread
• Grill this as a sandwich till both side become crispy and golden brown
• You will be eating one of the best ‘vegetarian sandwiches’ and may seriously consider giving up non veg food!!

I will add a photo the next time I make this sandwich. After all a picture speaks a thousand words, isn’t it? Let me know how it turns out if you happen to make it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment